Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Puttanesca Sauce with penna

About once a week or two weeks I have to have my freshly made Puttanesca sauce.  This is a quick and easy dinner that is so flavorful!

Let me explain that first of all I don't really a lot of red sauce with my pasta.  Oh, I make a great one and even can it up for my husband, Ken.  He loves it.  But once I made a fresh Puttanesca sauce my opinion changed! 

I'll even make extra and have it on a good piece of my homemade ciabatta bread.  I took some of that extra down to Denise, my neighbor Waneta's daughter, one day.  She was up from Baltimore visiting her mom, and I had a feeling she'd like it.  Of course Denise loved it!  I didn't give any to Waneta to try because I make my Puttanesca sauce with anchovy paste and she really doesn't like that.  LOL.  But Waneta is a great neighbor and buys it for me if I ask her to pick it up!  

Denise asked me for the recipe and I had to laugh...I don't use one!  So the next time I made it I wrote it down for her, and I documented with pictures! 

So this one's for you Denise.  Now get Drew to make it for you and you'll be set for a romantic evening! 


3-4 Tbsp olive oil
6-8 big vine ripened tomatoes, or about a dozen small ones, chopped (I don't even peel them)
1/8 tsp kosher salt
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
3 cloves garlic or shallots (finely chopped)
1/4 cup chopped ripe olives (make sure to throw a few kalamati olives in), seeded and chopped
1/2 to 1 c good dry red wine (preferably homemade or good brand of commercial Chambourcine)
1 Tbsp Berkley and Jensen capers (from BJs warehouse club)
1 squirt Roland Anchovy paste

Put the olive oil in a large skillet, and bring to medium heat.   Add the tomatoes, garlic (shallots), kosher salt, red pepper flakes and cook the tomatoes until soft.  Be sure not to over salt.  Remember you'll be adding olives, capers and anchovy paste with salt in them.  Add red wine, and continue cooking. 


Add chopped olives, capers and anchovy paste.  Cook for another 5 minutes. 
 Pour over penna or spaghetti. 


Sprinkle with freshly grated (on microplane side of cheese grater) parmesan cheese.  You don't see the cheese in this picture because I wanted the sauce to show. 

OK, Denise now it's your turn.   Let me know how it tastes!  BTW, do you know the story behind Puttanesca sauce?  Hmmm very interesting! 

2 comments:

  1. Hello. Denise here. I'm sorry that Ezzie has trouble sleeping sometimes...really I am, but I admit that I am often the lucky recipient of the yummy byproducts of those restless hours. Like Ezzie, I have never been a fan of red sauces. But capers? Anchovies? This sauce has some kick--a lovely lift that's lacking in marinara. Thanks Ezzie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy this really looks good. Maybe because it is still way too cold that I am still craving nice hot comfort food. Thanks for the recipe to try something different.

    ReplyDelete