Sunday, May 2, 2010

Mexican Egg Bake

Our neighbors Barb and George inspired me to make this recipe.  When I told Wanetta's daughter Denise, I would be making it again, she asked for the recipe.  Hmmm.  No real recipe.  So just for Denise I had to document this recipe and decided to share it on my blog. 

Barb and George were just returning from a sojurn in Florida and I decided to surprise them with my favorite Mexican Egg Bake waiting on their kitchen counter for them!  They've had this before and always love and appreciate it!

I started making this about 10 years ago.  But the original recipe was a strata, a wonderful egg and bread dish that is a great use of stale bread!  You can refrigerate the strata mixture over night and then bake in the morning, in time for company for breakfast or brunch! 

But one day I had some corn tortilla chips that were just getting crushed in the bag and some left over salsa.  Why not try them in the egg mixture I thought! 

I started with the usual egg custard type mixture of 2 c milk and 4 eggs.  But this recipe doesn't call for cornstarch (which you don't really need for a custard anyway).  I've found this recipe and the strata to be so adaptable you can use just about any leftovers for it.

Grease or use Pam on an 8"x x 8" baking pan, or aluminum foil pan. 

Crush up enough corn tortilla chips to measure about 1 1/2 c.

Beat together 4 eggs, then add 4 c milk (I use whole milk, but you can use 2%).

Spread the chips in the bottom of the pan. 

Have on hand your favorite salsa and some sort of Mexican cheese blend (shredded).



For this recipe I had a left over mixture of chicken, onions and manchego cheese from making enchiladas a few weeks before.  I had put the chicken mixture in the freezer.  So I just thawed it out and spred in it the pan on top of the chips. 

We love spicy salsas.  Sometimes I make my own, but sometimes I just pick up a good hot salsa or a good chipotle salsa at Sam's Club, Costco or BJs.  In this case I had two kinds of salsa on hand. 



Then I put about 6 big soup spoon fulls of salsa over the the mixture. 


Next I poured the milk and egg mixture.  I then took a fork and gently mixed it all up in the pan.  On other occassions I have mixed all the ingredients except the chips in a big bowl and then poured it in the pans.  It really does not matter how you do it. 


NOTE:  At this point you can put this in the refrigerator overnight, and then go to the next step in the morning. 

Bake for 1 hour at 325 degrees F.  Check the egg bake by inserting a clean knife.  If it comes out clean, it's ready for the final step.  If it doesn't come out clean, bake for another 10 minutes, check again, etc until done. 

Sprinkle a 3 or four blend of shredded Mexican Cheese (jack cheese, sharp cheddar, manchego, etc) on the top and bake for another 10 minutes to melt the cheese. 

Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.  This recipe can be easily doubled or quatrupled for a large crowd.  You can serve this with a side of sour cream, a green salad, beans and rice, or just the egg bake. 


I served the Mexican Egg Bake to Ken, my husband, for breakfast with a side of papaya. 
Great way to start the day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment