Sunday, February 14, 2010

Doggie Treats


Scupper is our 3 year old “designer dog”.  I put that in quotes because when we first started looking for a dog 3 years ago I was shocked!   I hadn’t had a dog in many years, and mixed breed dogs were simply called “mutts”, back in the day.  So the first call evoked a “FOR A MUTT!” from me when the gal on the other end told me how much she wanted for her “designer” dog!  LOL. 

After checking the local SPCA, I checked with a few friends.  One of them had a sister who had a new litter of puppies that were just ready for adoption.  We went over the river and through the woods and found her place.  There were 4 puppies, and we sat on the ground to take a look at them.  Scupper wandered over to Ken, climbed into his lap and started licking his face.   Then he crawled under the house chasing after one of his little mates.  We checked all the puppies out carefully, and then Scupper climbed into Ken’s lap a second time and settled down.  That was it for Ken, he was hooked!

We started taking Scupper kayaking with us the very first weekend we became his humans.  He loved kayaking from then on!  While we had the boat we took him sailing.  He was all over that boat and particularly loved stealing the little tools, nuts and bolts when Ken was working on things.  He’d pull the lines (ropes) and thought they were great fun to chew. 

Camping is a great big doggie park to him.  He doesn’t like being tethered at our camp site, but of course the campground rules say that dogs have to be on a leash.  Scupper finds this highly objectionable!  But he does love sitting on my lap next to the fire pit on those cold mornings in our camping spot! 

I first decided to try doggie treats a few months back when I found this recipe on the internet.  Gourmetsleuth has several good ones but I like this basic one best.  http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Recipes/Dog-Treat-Recipes-680/Basic-Yeast-Dog-Treats-229.aspx is the website address. 

Maybe it’s because I am used to making bread, but I found this to be a very easy recipe.  After baking these and letting them dry in the oven I tried them out on Scupper.  He loves them!  And since it was the holidays, I gave bags of them out to friends for their doggies.  One batch makes more than 60 cookies! 

I bought a set of three doggie cookie cutters at A.C. Moore for $4.99.  The set included a handy tin to keep them in. 




 Molly and Scupper practically bit my fingers off going after their doggie treats!  


Ingredients
3 1/2 cup all-purpose (or unbleached) flour 
2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup skim milk powder
1 tablespoon (or 1 package) dry yeast
3 1/2 cups lukewarm chicken or meat broth (about 2- 15oz cans)

1 egg beaten with about 2 tablespoons water (for egg wash)

Instructions
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Grease cookie sheets.

Mix together all dry ingredients.

Dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm chicken or meat broth. Let yeast broth mixture set 10 min. Then stir in flour mixture until a soft dough is formed. If the dough is too sticky you can add more flour.

Roll resulting dough out 1/4" thick. Cut dog biscuit shapes from dough. Put scraps back in bowl and re-roll out until all dough is used.

Brush biscuits with egg wash. Bake on greased cookie sheets at 300* for 45 min. Then turn off oven and leave in overnight to finish hardening.

Makes 60 medium-sized biscuits**   I believe I got a lot more than 60 biscuits! 

Ken and I tasted the biscuits since there is nothing harmful to humans in them…when rolled out thin they are just like chicken crackers humans eat but with a lot less salt!  Hmmmm.  That gives me an idea!  More on that experiment in a later post. 


No comments:

Post a Comment