Sunday, November 29, 2009

Brioche, Part III

As posted before, the HBin5 google group did a pumpkin brioche for a special project this month.  I loved the addition of whole wheat, and felt the bread was a really good alternative to traditional quick bread style pumpkin bread.  I decided to try the same thing with banana pulp.  I am always looking for ways to use bananas that are turning but still too good to throw out. 

I do alot of dehydrating and have often made low cal banana chips.  I simply slice the bananas and place them on the the dehydrator trays (lined with screening).  It takes less than a day and they are a great addition to my trail mix.  I've also pureed them and made them into fruit leather.  Really good for you and no added sugar. 

And while my quick bread style banana bread is great (just ask the Costa Rican Navy!), I wanted to try a banana brioche. 

So I substituted the banana puree for the pumpkin puree.  I made two other changes.  Instead of canola oil I put in sweet unsalted butter, and I added walnuts.

I couldn't believe how tender the crumb was.  Pure heaven. 

I made the entire four pound recipe of dough into rolls, a pastry, and even a "babka style" loaf.  I love chocolate babka, but the recipes I have read are very work intensive.  However, recently in my readings I had come across a recipe that called for making a babka style loaf by rolling the dough jelly roll fashion, then "stuffing" the long roll into a bread pan.  What they were talking about was making a roll that was longer than the bread pan, more or less just pushing it together. 

Once again the flavor of the puree was subtle, and the crumb was light.  It was perfect for breakfast toast.  I also added Nutella to some of them for some variation.  Next time I add Nutella to a dough however, I will heat it up to melting stage.  It's difficult to spread otherwise. 

Of course we didn't eat this all ourselves!  Neighbors and friends, as well as co-workers love when I experiment! 

Below are my results.


Brioche rolls with banana puree.  In the back row the rolls are filled with Nutella.



Breakfast pastry on upper left.  Babka style loaf in lower right corner.  Both are filled with Nutella.



Babka style loaf sliced showing Nutella and walnuts.  The Nutella didn't distribute as well as I wanted.  Next time I will warm it up to melting to spread it more easily and entirely over the dough before rolling.

My next brioche batch will be a regular brioche (using the recipe in Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day) in my new brioche pan.  So the story isn't over yet! 

7 comments:

  1. A Banana Brioche...OH MY GOSH! My husband would be in heaven! I would never have thought to add banana but it makes perfect sense.

    Great recipe...in fact fabulous recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What creative minds can come up with- amazing! I'm sure your neighbors loved it. They look beautiful and like you got a super rise. The nutella does sound like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love banana and nutella! What a great idea - Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea. I have some banana that are very soft right now. This sounds tasty!
    ~Jenny~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I want to get busy with my bananas and Nutella right away! YUM!

    Very creative

    Judy L, TN

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay. This sounds absolutely amazing! I really enjoy yeasted banana breads anyway...but add Nutella and HEAVEN!!!

    ReplyDelete